By 1874 Henry Hardy was a gardener
and seedsman who lived in London, but neither the Hardy name nor
any comparable business is listed in Kelly's Directory for 1912.
A transcription of births, deaths
and marriages available online records Abraham Hardy as a 'farmer,
seedsman and church clerk' born at Nayland in 1799, marrying a Sarah
Pilgrim (of a prolific Bures family of builders) in 1817 and dying
at Billericay in Essex in 1873.
The most recent owner of the orchard was Mr Dennis Eaves whose father
is understood to have bought it in or about 1937.
Mr Eaves originally lived at Lorne
House (1 Nayland Road) but the rest of the terrace was bought by
the Hitchcock family of Bures mill.
He operated the orchard as a fruiterer
and smallholder, supplying produce to local shops and keeping chickens
in the now demolished sheds behind no. 7 Nayland Road. He also sold
directly to the public from a shop in the central shed , but opened
on only one afternoon each week in the years leading up to his death
in the 1990s.
The early-19th century a shed with
the sunken floor was used to store apples, along with the upper
storey of the central shed, and older residents of Bures recall
at least one horse stalled in the shed with the mono-pitch roof
during the 1940s and 1950s.
Mr Eaves sold part of the orchard
to Babergh District Council in the 1980s and the resulting estate
of bungalows bears his name (albeit mis-spelled- Eaves Orchard).
The business terminated with his death and the trees were subsequently
cleared by his son-in-law, the present owner Mr Alan Cockrell of
Colchester. Nos. 2-7 Nayland Road were sold individually in the
Their link with the site of the orchard
to the rear is documented as early as 1577 when Barnaby Claydon,
a wealthier clothier and church warden who lived in Bures High Street,
owned a larger block of land in the same area stretching from the
Nayland Road on the west to what is now Fysh House Farm at the top
Cuckoo Hill to the east .
This land included two 'ruinous'
houses on the Nayland Road, one of which was known as Pike House
and was associated with ground called Pikes Acre and a marsh called
Pikes Marsh. The other is not named but lay to the north of Pikes
House and also possessed a significant but unspecified amount of
land to the rear (it is said to have belonged previously to John
Arundell and afterwards to Thomas Mollens).
Acknowledgment to Suffolk County
Council, Archaeological Dept for allowing the web site to reproduce
Acknowledgment to Leigh Alston the
author of history (bottom) text