The property we see today, is not
the original building which once stood on this site.
The first building was used as the
Bures Hamlet Workhouse as recorded in the Parish records
1784 Glebe Terrier:- Bures Hamlet hath a Workhouse for
the poor, with about a "rood" of ground adjoining to
it worth about 30s per annum near Mr Gurdon (note 1), late Mr
NOTE: seemingly refers to a property in Station Hill.
In 1784 it only recorded
In 1838, John Garrad (note 2) purchased
the property from the Sudbury Union for the sum of £200
to be used as a private residence.
See Bill of sale below
original Workhouse was subsequently demolished by the end of the
year and replaced with the fine building we see today.
It stood closer to the road than
its successor, however the entire site is completely empty on
the Bures Hamlet 1839 tithe map.
Interesting to note that this
property was once again used for public use during the 1st World
"It is remembered
that there was an outbreak of diphtheria during the "'14-18"
war, and the White House, which was standing empty at the time,
was cleaned through in twenty four hours and patients brought
in. The then Vicar's wife, Mrs. Molesworth, who had been trained
as a nurse took charge of the temporary hospital.
List of Occupants taken from
1859 Simon Golding Boggis
1870 Simon Golding Boggis
1887 Alan Mumford
1889 Simon Golding Boggis
1890 Arthur Boggis
1895 Alan Mumford
1899 Mrs Hagg
1906 Sidney Elyot Hawkins
1912 Sidney Elyot Hawkins
1929 Lady Elizabeth Catherine Berkeley