William and Emma Butcher, High Street

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
John

William and Emma Butcher, High Street

Post by John »

Looking on the Retail History pages, I found who I think are my Great Great Grandparents, William and Emma Butcher's details as shop keepers.
My Great grandad William Butcher is listed as a Hawker and then the following years 1884 as a shop keeper and then in 1892 as Hardware. He died and I believe that his wife is then named as a shopkeeper in 1900 (William died in the 1890's). I have not yet had a chance to check all the various cnsus but i know that in 1901 Emma was in the census as a Shop keeper living at 67 High Street, Bures St Mary, prior to this in the 1881 census the Butchers were living in Croft Fields (not sure what number) Bures Hamlet.
I am interested to know if 67 High Street still stands and whether it was or still is a shop as such. I'm also wondering did William live in Bures Hamlet and trade in Bures St Mary or did he trade and live in the Hamlet and then move to Bures St Mary. I appreciate I've still got a lot more research to do to confirm address's etc. Even if I can just find out about 67 High Street I'd be pleased, as we're hoping to get down at some point and have a look at the area.

Editors Notes:- Unfortunately the High Street is no longer numbered but replaced with names

John Garfield