Nicholas Knapp Family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Paul S. Knapp

Nicholas Knapp Family

Post by Paul S. Knapp »

My Great Aunt, Jeanette Knapp, was the family genealogist living in Haverstraw, New York. I first met her about 1945 when I was eight. Over the years she continued to write to me and eventually passed her papers on to me. Aunt Jean was able to trace our family branch back to Nicholas Knapp (1592-1670) and Eleanor/Elinor Lockwood(1608-1658), but until recently I had no idea of which county or town they lived in. I was delighted the other day when I found the names Bures and Suffolk on http://www.familysearch.org which pointed me in this direction.

I would like to know what information is available on the Knapp families in Bures. Can anyone tell me where the Parish Registers for Bures St Mary and Bures Hamlet are located. On this site I see that 10 Knapps sailed on the Arabella in 1630 to Massachusetts.
Who were all these Knapps? Are they related to Nicholas? Specifically do you know the name and BMD's for Nicolas' siblings,father and mother, grandfather and grandmother. I am also very interested in any historical information you have about the occupations and population back in the late 1500's and early 1600's.

Someday I would like to visit Burres but that will have to wait for awhile. Thank you for any information you would pass on to me.

Paul S. Knapp