John Brooks & Maureen Clark's grave in Bures cemetery

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
steve.clark

John Brooks & Maureen Clark's grave in Bures cemetery

Post by steve.clark »

My name is Steve Clark and my eldest sister Maureen was killed in a scooter accident on the A1 along with John Brooks on August 1st around 1959/60? John's family ran the post office in Bures for many years and are well known in the area. I have been told by the present postmaster that John's brother and his father still live in the area.
I visited the village cemetery several years ago and found the white marble grave with an open book style headstone easily but on my last visit with my son neither of us could find the grave. As my son is studying at Cambridge I was intending to visit Bures when I am next in the area. Could anybody shed any light on where in the cemetery the grave is? I think it very unlikely that it could have been moved without anyone on our side of the family hearing.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks Steve Clark.
alan

Re: John Brooks & Maureen Clark's grave in Bures cemetery

Post by alan »

Steve,
Your best option is to contact the Clerk to Bures Hamlet Parish Council. She is also the Clerk to the Cemetery.
The Parish Council has its own page on this web site where you can find the "contact" details
steve.clark

Re: John Brooks & Maureen Clark's grave in Bures cemetery

Post by steve.clark »

I have just e-mailed Alan to say 'Thanks for your interest and suggestions' and I finally found the grave. I had a 10yr old photo e-mailed to me showing the grave with a mature tree in the background. With a bit of deciphering and comparing I finally found the grave!
I can not believe the number of times I had walked past before spotting it. On my previous visit to Bures I even had my son with me as an extra pair of eyes and between us we must have checked that area several times!
Steve Clark