Baldwins

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
cinnamon1

Baldwins

Post by cinnamon1 »

I am looking for any information on my Baldwin ancestors who lived in Bures. Are any gravestone inscriptions available in bookform or online?
Terry
admin
Site Admin

Re: Baldwins

Post by admin »

Terry, the only records available require some pen, paper and legwork.

These are the only inscriptions I could find in the cemetery along Cuckoo Hill for you:-

Herbet Cedric Baldwyn d13/3/5? age 47 ( cannot read year date, 1950 something)
---------------------------------------------------------
Charles Baldwyn d13/02/61 age 75
Catherine Baldwyn d 13/12/61 age 72
Arthur Haywood d 18/10/98 age 72

These three are all in the same grave, so who was Arthur ??
One problem, I may have written down Baldwyn instead of Baldwin on my notes.
I will check again if this is important
-----------------------------------------
The current Colchester telephone directory list 3 Baldwin addresses in Bures, all living within a few hundred yards of each other
G Baldwin
GD Baldwin
J Baldwin
-------------------------------------
The local cemetery gravestones dating back any further than around 1930 are in a very poor state, most headstones are unreadable and in some cases they have been removed.

I hope this may of been some help to you
cinnamon1

Churchyard

Post by cinnamon1 »

I live in Inverness so visiting not really an option,is there anyone who would be prepared to visit Bures church and let me know what is on the headstone of my ancestor Samuel Baldwin 1782-1839. Is his wife Mary there? I would be very grateful for any help.
Terry Baldwin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Are you aware we have two churchyards.
(A 3rd if you count the handful of burials behind the Baptist Chapel)
One at St Marys Church and another up Cuckoo Hill.
The St Marys churchyard was full possibly 75 - 100 years ago and all burials were moved to the alternative site
At St Marys approx 75% of stones have been removed and the bulk of the remainder being in excess of 100 years old are unreadable due to weathering.
Headstones for the dates (1782-1839) you mention would have long since either fallen down or removed for safety reasons.
The latest headstones I could find in the churchyard were dated mid 1850, no mention of Baldwins anywhere.
cinnamon1

Post by cinnamon1 »

Thank you for the info,much appreciated.
Terry
georgie slater

Post by georgie slater »

Dear Terry,
At the moment I can't see any link with your Samuel Baldwin. At the time he was born, my Baldwins were all in either Monks Eleigh or Thorpe Morieux but I will keep looking! My great, great grandfather Philip Baldwin was a tanner in Monks Eleigh, married late in life and moved to Bures to work in the tannery there between 1841 and 1851 so that is why I am interested in Bures.
I can help with some of the other information posted for you. Herbert Cedric Baldwin was my uncle - my father's eldest brother. Two (at least)of the three Baldwins listed in the Colchester phone books are in my family. One refers to my late Uncle Geoff and the other to an aunt, the widow of another of my uncles. Yes, they do live across the road from each other.
I can't offer to do much on the ground research for you as I am in Somerset. Have you looked at the Cosford database? Cosford was the old name for this whole area. It does need verifying but is very useful for leads - www.cosford-database.co.uk
Do keep in touch - we may find some links.
Georgie.