Anyone any information on the Boggis/Bogges families ?

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Yewborough

Anyone any information on the Boggis/Bogges families ?

Post by Yewborough »

Hello.
I have discovered my GGGFather and mother were Joseph and Alice Boggis, shown on the 1841 Census as living at DOVS, MOUNT BURES.
I cannot seem to find any information as to what or where Dovs is or was and would be delighted if anyone could point me in the right direction and/or has any details at all regarding this family.

Thank you!
alan

Re: ANYONE ANY INFORMATION ON BOGGIS/BOGGES FAMILIES??

Post by alan »

I have spoken to the Mount Bures local historian and she cannot recall any residence called DOVS.
I have also searched local Mount Bures records and that name is not mentioned anywhere.
However, someone may prove me wrong and come up with an answer
alan

Re: ANYONE ANY INFORMATION ON BOGGIS/BOGGES FAMILIES??

Post by alan »

These facts taken from the MB Historian records seems to indicate the whereabout of Doves ( now we know as Dovehouse)
---------------

1549 Tenant of Dovehouse against Wynsley Lane
1550 Tenant of Dovehouse field against Wynsley Lane
We also see from the early 1841 census that Joseph (50) lived with Alice (55) + 2 children Elizabeth (17) and Joseph (15) lived in Dovehouse.
Dovehouse was somehow linked to another property called "Sewells" which also accommodated the Boggis family

***1736 Daniel Siddey owner of Sewells died and the land was seized of property and 9 acres. ( this was usual for the Lord of the Manor to seize property when the owner or tenant died) The property was occupied by Jane Boggis since 1687
John Siddey was then made the new owner

***1789 John Siddey son of John Siddey died 1687 and occupied by Jane Boggis but also states elsewhere occupied by John Boggis 1687
Sewells + 9 acres rented by the late Jane Boggis, transferred ownership to William Ruggles
Mortgage of £1,000 on property. Must have been a large property to be worth that sum of money 300 years ago.

***These tenants refer to SEWELLS

"Sewells"has long since been demolished, but it was located where the level crossing stands today on the Bures Hamlet side of the road.
Wynsley Lane still exists and is now the short piece of road from the B1508 up to the crossing.
More information on these locations can be found in the Book "Mount Bures its Land and People"
Coming up from the Bures direction the 9 acre field to the left still exists.
This is only conjecture but we believe that Dovehouse stood on that 9 acre land.
However we have no way of proving it either way, but the Historian of 90 years is convinced this may be the best answer
alan

Re: Anyone any information on the Boggis/Bogges families ?

Post by alan »

Whilst researching another request for a family in Bures, I came across these names in the BURES cemetery.
It is very unlikely these would have been Mount Bures residents as they have their own churchyard

Elizabeth Boggis age 61 d 02/04/1936 ( cannot be certain of the year date, badly worn away)

IM?? Golding Boggis died 02/12/?? ( year date worn away)
Harriet

Re: Anyone any information on the Boggis/Bogges families ?

Post by Harriet »

Hi,
Golding Boggis was born in 1787, the son of George Boggis and Rachel Davy. He married Sarah Prentice in 1823 (she was born in 1789 in Dalham Suffolk.) and had 9 children, including a Charles Boggis who died at Fish House in Bures! Golding died in 1857, and Sarah in 1860.
Golding was one of 10 children of George and Rachel, and going through the parish records the Boggis family were numerous! I have the parish registers on fiche (1700-1900) and am happy to do look ups. I have extracted a number of members of the Boggis family from these registers.
I am connected distantly to the Boggis family through Charles son William who married Elizabeth Alice Holmes (her grandfather Richard Holmes was my 4x great grandfather)
Harriet