Siggers Family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
alan philip

Re: Siggers Family

Post by alan philip »

Dear Corrine,

I moved to Australia back in 1980 and love it hear. The move has made the research on the tree a little longer and apart from the last say 100 years the research has relied on the internet and help from others in the UK I have met online. It has been rewarding I have managed to reunite myself with legs of the family I never met when I lived in the UK. I knew of their existence and so it was just perseverance until I found them.

Spaek to you soon and if their is and part of the tree your interested in let me know and I'll forward to you what I have.

Regards,

Alan
cidermustard

Post by cidermustard »

Hello Alan - how lovely to hear from another part of the world! The Siggers are my mothers side - but I have relatives from my fathers side in Perth and Brisbane.

I had a look at the census to find Philip - as he is the same generation as my Charles ( My great great grandfather). Philip was showing up in the 1851 census but my Charles had gone by then ( he was born in 1829). I cant find out much about when Charles actually moved to Romford. His son Charles was born in 1859 ( he was killed by a hansom cab when he was 29) leaving my g grandmother with 5 girls (my nan being the eldest Agnes).

There are details on this website of George Willoughby being a glover (under retail history) then Mrs Siggers taking over. Ann had a lot of detail going back from him and one of my relatives has dates of the younger ones on the ancestry website. She has Phillip marrying twice. Do you know if this is right? Possibly to Bessie Hawkins?

Its great to know the Siggers name hasn't died out....

Stay in touch - if ever you are over here we want to all have a get together!

Regards

Jo
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hello everyone,

Haven't been on here for ages, have been doing the history of my house as an offshoot of family history and when I looked into past owners back in the 1800's I found a connection with my family (unfortunately the 'other' side, not the Wenden/Siggers side) which was a very pleasant coincidence to discover! This has now grown into an interest about other buildings the family have owned and the subsequent histories. On one of those random searches I came across the Wenden's butchers shop on Colneford Hill in Earls Colne (the one in the picture in the book you told us about Anne) and it is for sale. There are lovely pictures of it on the agents website but I don't think I am allowed to post a link here or give the name of the agent as it may be construed as advertising but you would probably find it if you did a search - if you are interested in seeing our ancestors home up to date! It's a listed building so hopefully not at risk of too much change.

I'm still hoping to get to have a look round the Bures and Earls Colne areas one day... this year I have been mending the house and the summer has flown by. I must say it has taken on a deeper, satisfying meaning now I know it has been in the family before albeit in the 1800's!

Do any of you know any firm addresses for our Wenden and Siggers families in Bures as well as the ones we have in censuses etc? I'm keen to gather more info about our homes.

Best wishes
Corinne