Siggers Family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
cidermustard

Siggers Family

Post by cidermustard »

Does anyone have any information on the Siggers family residing in Bures St Mary in the 1800's? George was one of my relatives born in 1808 and was still living in Bures in the 1881 census with his wife Mary and daughter Elizabeth. I have just started tracing this side of the family so are short of details! I believe they married in Bures in 1829 and I am descended from his son Charles who I believe moved to Romford before 1860.

Many thanks
Jo
Corinne

Re: Siggers Family

Post by Corinne »

Hi Jo
My great great grandmother was Harriett Siggers, daughter of George W Siggers and his wife Mary (formerly Ketley or Kettle). I believe George's father was John and his mother was Mary Ann formerly Underwood but I haven't checked it out in the records yet. This site, Bures online, records George / Willoughby Siggers as a glover. They seem to have had about 12 children (1841 and 1851 census plus other records). Harriett and at least 2 of her siblings married and lived in Stepney/Poplar/Plaistow areas of the East End of London. George W married in June 1829 and died in September 1885 in Bures.
Happy to share more info if and when I find it and hope you are too.
Best wishes
Corinne
cidermustard

Post by cidermustard »

Hello Corinne

Lovely to hear from you. Since I posted my request in October I have found out a few more details - mainly coming from another relative discovered on the 'Ancestry' website. My great great grandfather was Charles Siggers (born 1829)- Harriet's brother - so we are the in the same generation! I did a fair amount of research on Harriet as I believe she married a Wendon - and my nephew has married a Wendon - but haven't progressed very far at the moment. Can you help out there?
Charles moved to Romford (not sure when) - but his son Charles (my great-grandfather) was born in Romford in 1859. He died at 29 from a hansom cab accident. My Nan Agnes Maud Siggers was his eldest child (born 1879).
My relative has John and Mary Ann (Underwood) as George W Mum and Dad which confirms your notes. John's father was another John born in 1763 and his Mum was Elizabeth Rutlidge born in 1765. That John's father was yet another John born in 1738 in Suffolk - Mum Elizabeth Godden born 1735.
We live not far from Bures and have had a look round the cemetary - there is a map of the graves in the church there. We thought we found the place where a Siggers was buried but no headstone. We have also been to Birch Street Nayland where John and Mary Ann lived in 1841-51- 61. No 12 building is there but probably incorporated into next door.
Hope this is useful. We are hoping to take a trip to Bury St Edmunds at some point for the parish records - perhaps when it warms up a bit!
Many thanks
Jo
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Jo,

Very interested to read your post and learn we are in the same generation!
Harriett married Major Wenden in St Dunstan's, Stepney in 1854. Major was from Wakes Colne and was in the building trade. One of their daughters was Mary Ann Ellen Wenden b.1853 who married James William Hursk in 1885. (James's father William Hursk was born in Wivenhoe). Mary and James had a son William Henry Major Hursk (one of four? children) who was my paternal grandfather.
I don't know if you are aware the Wenden's have a one name study on the internet and I was in touch with them many years ago. I believe it is for public viewing so if you do a search for 'Wenden one name study' it shouldn't be difficult to find.
I am on the ancestry site and my tree name is under HURSK. Our Wenden connections can be found on there if your relative would like to look. The Wendens were quite a big family, most in the building trade as bricklayers/brickmakers and later as master builders.
My father and I went to Bury St Edmunds many years ago, looking for Hursk's in the parish records.... and I agree about waiting for warmer weather! It's a nice place in the summer. I hope to pay a visit to Bures in the warmer weather. Have been that way a few years ago but didn't know the connection then so didn't know I should be taking notice! Thanks for the extra info about the Siggers in Bures, it is very useful.
If I can help with any more info on the Wenden's I'm happy to share what I have. The name is spelt Wendon with an 'o' or Wenden with an 'e' in different places, documents etc.
Thanks again
Corinne
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi
I have just registered on to this site. I have been researching the Wendens and Siggers. My ancester Major Wenden married Harriet Siggers. I have managed to get back to John Siggers m Elizabeth Becker 1650. The Wendens back to 1751 Samuel Wenden m Ann Pond and lived in the old butchers shop, Earls Colne. If anyone has more information or if I can help in anyway let me know.
Anne
cidermustard

Post by cidermustard »

Hello Anne and Corinne

It seems you are both related to Harriet! The internet is a great tool. Anne do you have any more info on John Siggers and Elizabeth Becker? Do you know if they were they from the Bures/Nayland area?

I have paid a visit to the records office in Chelmsford and got some info on my ancestor Charles Siggers (Harriets nephew)( he was buried in Romford cemetary together with his brothers George Willoughby and John) There is also a Mary Siggers (born 1826 buried there in 1899) but I haven't worked out the relationship yet - quoted as being a widow so might have married one of Harriets brothers (possibly Charles - he married Mary Shaw -but thought she was born 1831)

Thank you both for the Wendon info - will investigate!

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Jo
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Anne and Jo,
I don't have any info about the Mary Siggers - widow - you mentioned Jo, but will keep my eyes open.

The line thru the Wenden's in my family is as follows:
Thomas A Hursk (my father)
William Henry Major Hursk 1895 - 1954 mar Susannah Wilks
Mary Ann Ellen Wenden 1853 - 1906 mar James W Hursk
Major Wenden 1830 - 1881 mar Harriett Siggers
Joseph Wenden 1800 - 1840
Joseph Wenden 1774 - 1848 mar Charlotte ..............?
Samuel Wenden 1749 - 1815 mar Ann Pond
Pamplin Wenden 1718 - 1755 mar Ann Pennock
Henry Wenden 1679
John Wenden 1648 - 1728
Nathaniel wenden 1626

In the 1851 census at 39 Court Street, Nayland, there is an Elkanah Siggers 31, bricklayer, wife Matilda 31, trousermaker, Daughter Levina 11 and Harriett Siggers 18, niece, also a trousermaker. Harriett is missing from George and Mary's census entry so would guess this is our Harriett making Elkanah possibly George Willoughby's younger brother?

There is also a William Siggers 48, Maltster, living in Kelvedon with his wife Sarah 49, and 7 children, plus niece Harriett Paullen 17. Could be an older brother or cousin of George W?

Anne, you say you have John Siggers and Elizabeth Becker 1650 - Jo has a John Siggers b 1738 marrying Elizabeth Godden. who came between your John and Jo's John? ...if that makes sense?!

Bye for now
Corinne
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi Jo and Corinne

My information is as follows:-
Vera Wenden my mother
Walter Wenden 1902 m Eliza Nicholson
George Wenden 1861 m Mary Hiscock
Major Wenden 1831 m Harriet Siggers. Major lived with his grandparents in the butchers shop, Earls Colne in 1841.
Joseph Wenden 1800 m Mary Ann
Joseph Wenden 1774 m Charlotte
Samuel Wenden (butcher) 1750 m Ann Pond parents were Joseph Pond 1727 m Ann Meade - They lived in the Butchers shop in Earls Colne

Harriet Siggers
George Siggers 1807 m Mary Kettley 1808. He was a glover and they lived in the Queens Head, Bures.
John Siggers 1789 m Mary Underwood 1790. Glover lived in Birch Street, Bures.
John Siggers 1763 from Aldham, Essex m Elizabeth Rutlidge 1765.
John Siggers 1738 m Elizabeth Golden. they were married in Bures.
Richard Siggers 1715 m Mary Cary 1715
John Siggers 1678 m Mary Wollman 1680
John Siggers 1650 m Elizabeth Becker 1650 . No other information so far.

Harriet lived with Elkana 1818 and Jessie Matilda Newman 1819 in Bridge Street. Elkana was the son of John and Mary (Underwood) her Aunt and Uncle.

They did have very large familes in those days. I have brothers and sisters of most of the families.

I am thrilled to find some relatives it also helps with the searches. I visited Bures last week. Its such a lovely village.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Best wishes
Anne
cidermustard

Post by cidermustard »

Hi Anne and Corrinne

Many thanks to you both for the info. Will need some time I think to digest it all! Its lovely to get so far back. I dont live very far from Bures - it would be great to meet up there sometime.

In the meantime will be in touch if I get more info - and I know my 93year old aunt (Agnes Siggers daughter)will be fascinated by the history.

Jo
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi Jo

The new information I have is a great help. Unfortunately, I would find it difficult to meet up as I live in West Wales, moved here from Essex in 1986. I will let you know when I am back in the area for a visit and yes it would be great to meet up.

Keep hunting - its a bit like being a detective. Once you are hooked on the ancestors its very addictive.

Best wishes Anne
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Anne and Jo

It's been great to share info and find more relatives now and in the past! I hope Jo, that your Aunt does find it interesting - 93 yrs old, that's great! It would be good to meet up at Bures some day later in the year. I live in Essex so not too far away!

I was looking at Earles Colne parish records through the Wenden One Name site at the weekend and the Sig / Sigg / Siggs family is recorded and I wonder if these are our family? The records have a lot of abbreviated names so could be Siggers'? Will look deeper when I have time. It would also be interesting to know the meaning and origin of the name which I'll also look into when time. You are right Anne about it being addictive, I've been 'detecting' since the late '70's on and off but the internet has really opened it up and made it easier.

Will keep you posted if I find more info.
Best wishes
Corinne
cidermustard

Post by cidermustard »

Hello Anne and Corrinne

I have only really started on the family tree since last October now I have retired. It does get very addictive! My husband says at least it keeps me quiet! Yes Corrinne its interesting re the variants of names - my great grandfather was buried as Siddgers -so as you say Anne you have to be a bit of a detective. It would be nice to meet up when you are back in the area - I live in Braintree - so Corrinne it might be easier for us!

I am hoping to go to Bury St Edmunds shortly to have a look at the records. Then I want to go to Dublin for my Dad's side of the tree - what an excuse for travelling!

Hope to hear from you both soon

Best Wishes
Jo
Anne

Post by Anne »

Hi Jo and Corinne

I have found out about the name Siggers - it is Germanic and mean victory or spear. Also Wenden is Germanic (Saxon) from the Wends tribe.
I have been the see the Butchers Shop, Colneford Hill in Earls Colne. It was built around 1330 something and was a butchers shop continuously from that date until recently when it sold as a private house. What you need to do is buy the book - Wherein I dwell - A History of Earls colne Houses from 1375. Earls Colne W.E.A. Branch. I think you can get a copy from the library in Earls Colne. The Wendens are mentioned in the book as being butchers in 1796.
You are lucky that you can meet up but I will let you know when I am back that way and hopefully we can meet. At least with unusual names like Wenden and Siggers it is easier to trace back.
I wish I had more time to do research but each little bit of information is a bonus.
Look forward to hearing from you both.
Best wishes
Anne
alan philip

Post by alan philip »

Hi one and all,

how nice to find a Siggers web site from where it all began or at least for me. Their seems to be some activity re Harriet Siggers (the second one in my tree) I have included my line on ancestors on the Siggers side to prove who I am and I have been researching the family for some six years with quite a bit of success. If I can assist with anyone's research or alternately if they could assist me that would be great. For those interested in Harriet's demise I enclose an account from a workhouse. I would love to catch up with any of you if you are out my way that's Melbourne Australia.

My line is as follows:

Alan Philip Siggers (Me)
Edward Philip Siggers (Father)
George James Siggers (Gr Grand Father)
Phillip Siggers (Gr, Gr Grand Father)
George Willoughby Siggers (Gr, Gr, Gr Grand Father)
John Siggers (Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr Grand Father)
John Siggers (Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr Grand Father)
John Siggers (Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr Grand Father)
Richard Siggers (Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr Grand Father)
John Siggers (Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr, Gr Grand Father)

Harriet’s death:

ID: I3 Name: Harriet SIGGERS Surname: Siggers Given Name: Harriet Sex: F Christening: 10 Feb 1833 Bures Saint Mary Suffolk Death: 30 Aug 1895 in Leytonstone Essex. Union Workhouse 1 of Paralysis _UID: 0A8006093221D511BFE1E8DF198EC137D848 Census

Regards,

Alan Siggers
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Alan,

Good to hear from you and learn of another Siggers connection! Fascinating. Can I ask how you got to be in Australia if that's not too personal? I mean, did you go or one of your ancestors? I have been delighted to find out so much about the Siggers family so soon in my searches, mainly through Jo and Anne on this site. I had the bare bones of info from the records but learning more about them and the place they lived has been really good and brings the facts to life.

Am happy to share anything I discover but all I know for now is on this forum. Are you looking for any info in particular at the moment?

Thanks for the invite to drop by if we're out your way... nice one.

Best wishes

Corinne

ADMIN- This topic now continues on Page 2