The Good Family and Smallbridge Farm

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
serena_stampfer

The Good Family and Smallbridge Farm

Post by serena_stampfer »

Hello there, I have just begun to research my family history pretty much full time, thanks to my uncle who is funding me. I have been doing it almost non-stop for the last few days using www.ancestry.co.uk and I am amazed with the results already.

My great great grandparents were Sigismund Stampfer, a Jew who came over from Hungary, and Mary Amelia Adelaide Good, born in Great Horkesley, Colchester in 1852. It is Mary's pedigree I am interested in right now. I do not know her mother yet, but her father was Joseph Good, born in 1828 in Bures St Mary. His mother was called Susan (1801-1884), and I do not know her maiden name, but they lived on Smallbridge Farm while he was still a child, and others of the family lived in Little Mill House. It seems they had to sell up (she was a widow) as they moved to Colchester, and eventually London.

This was all I found out from that website (apart from dates and residences and a few siblings) but just today I struck gold as I found a family tree on a personal website which is of the Good family and some of their descendants. From this I have deduced that Susan's husband, and Joseph's father, was William Good (died 1840). Now HIS parents were James Good (1740-1810) and Sarah Rudkin (1762-1876). It gets very complicated here! James was also married to a Mary Killingbeck (1743-1781), and he had many children with both wives. Several of these children had children of there own, and so on and soforth. The main thing is that they all were born and lived most of their lives in Bures St Mary.

I'm sorry if I have given you too much information and it is confusing! But anything you can help me with in finding more information about the memnbers of the family and where they lived would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Serena
serena_stampfer

Re: The Good Family and Smallbridge Farm

Post by serena_stampfer »

I have also discovered that the Good family married into the Pilgrim family, who there seem to be quite a lot of records for. Some of these ancestors were the innkeepers for The Angel Inn.
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Good Family and Smallbridge Farm

Post by admin »

Little Mill House (or cottage) was demolished about ten years ago and re-built. It hadnt been lived in for a vast number of years and it was in a state of decay, to bad to re-furbish. The walls were taken down leaving the original timbers in situ.
I recall seeing these timbers,clearly the showing the marks made by the original carpenters with their primitive tools such as a "spokeshave"
It was then re-built using modern materials and is today a very large house with double garage etc.
I will send you a picture via email.
Smallbridge Farm still exists, but I suspect worked by a contractor living outside the village. Many farms here find they cannot financially compete with the larger farms and consequently rent out their land to contractors, the farm owner can then stay in his property