Webber family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Doey

Webber family

Post by Doey »

I'm looking for descendants of William Webber (1828) and his wife Sarah. They were born and lived in the Bures area. Can anyone help please?

Doey
alan

Re: Webber family

Post by alan »

There is still a Webber living in Bures, but I cannot say how this relates to your family tree.
Once owned and farmed "Bakers Hall", long since retired.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This information has been taken from the Kelly`s Directory dated 1890 >

John Webber, Butcher in Bures St Mary from 1869 until 1900
Alfred Webber, Painter in Bures Hamlet 1902 until 1912
Henry Fraser Webber, Grocer and Draper in Bures Hamlet 1906 until 1937
John Webber Corn Chandler in Bures Hamlet 1925
Walter Ernest Webber, Farmer at Bakers Hall 1929.

This is speculation, but he may have been the father of Gordon Webber who farmed Bakers Hall certainly during WW2 until approx 2000 when the farm was sold.
He lives a widow Enid who still resides in the village.
Doey

Post by Doey »

Thank you for the information on the Webber family posted last August. My apologies for not replying sooner, I've not been able to do much research recently and haven't accessed the Bures website until this morning.

Kind regards
Doreen
Macpattison

Post by Macpattison »

William Webber (born 1828) and Sarah Howard (born 1828) are my 2 x Great Grandparents.
Their son Thomas (born 1859) - married Hannah Portway - my Great Grandparents.

Which branch of the tree are you on??
Regards
Margaret
Doey

Post by Doey »

Hello Margaret,

My grandfather was George Henry Webber born 1874 son of Frank and Elizabeth (nee Harrington) Webber. I also have Hannah Portway in my tree.

George married a Christiana Prewer who was a farm bailiff's daughter - Frederick Prewer. They had two children Gladys Maud and Minnie. George took up with a lady called Edith Harrington and eventually left Christiana for her and they had 6 children one of whom was my mother, also called Gladys Maud Webber.

I have a family tree on Ancestry.co.uk if you would like to see it, I can send you an invitation. I'm now currently working on a new tree on My Heritage.

Any stories or information on the Webber family you can give me would be most welcome.

Best wishes.

Doreen
Macpattison

Post by Macpattison »

Yes please - would love to see the tree.
Margaret
JOSEPHCROMEY

Post by JOSEPHCROMEY »

Hi There - was very interested in the posts regarding the webber family. My family line is to do more with the pettitts but the pettitt/webber familys path cross a bit further back. William Webbers parents were William Webber b1801 d1840 and Jemima Pettitt b1803 d1886. I am interested in the next family back in the webber line = who was williams father, did he have siblings etc. Any help much appreciated
HAPearse

Post by HAPearse »

Hello, is anyone here a relation of Joshua Webber b. 1827 in Bures Hamlet? He is listed as an Inn keeper on Chapel Street, I have been trying to find out what pubs where around in the late 19th century in Bures.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Helen

Haven`t heard of Chapel Street in Bures before, but it could be an old road that`s been renamed
My own village research only starts around 1800, so you are going a long way back with 1827
The earliest map I know online is this dated 1888
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14 ... 2&layers=6

The list of pubs can be found here
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/PH/publichouses.htm

alan