Newman Family Research/ Abram Newman

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Clemandus

Newman Family Research/ Abram Newman

Post by Clemandus »

I have been researching my Newman family tree, tracing them to Great Hallingbury on the Essex/Herts border.
Further research has revealed a possible connection between The Newmans of the West Country to those of Essex and it is this line of inquiry which brings me to the Newmans of Mount Bures.
I live in Coggeshall, and have frequently visited MB. I have also read with great interest Ida McMaster’s research regarding the area and the people,including that of the Newman family.
As I do not possess a copy of her book, I would ask if anyone would be able to check some information for me, or indeed point me in the direction of further research or notes that may be available regarding the following:
There is a reference on this website to Abraham Newman’s father Thomas and the fact that he was a descendant of Colonel Richard Newman, who assisted King Charles the second in his flight from the Battle of Worcester. It would be interesting to know where this information originated so that it can be confirmed.
I would also be interested to know if Mount Hall was ever known as Newman Hall.
Thank you in anticipation of any future help.
fronteria

Re: Newman Family Research/ Abram Newman

Post by fronteria »

Is this what you are looking for?
Quendon Hall, Essex - once named Newman Hall after Thomas Newman who built the original house here c.1540. Most of the existing house was built between 1670 and 1680.
alan

Post by alan »

There is still a surviving member of the original Newman family alive and well in MB
I have never heard of the Hall being called Newman Hall

Any references on the web site to the Newmans, probably originated from Ida`s book
I worked closely with Ida transferring information from the book to the web iste

Extract from Idas Book sent by private message

alan
fronteria

Post by fronteria »

A small part of my family tree.
Mary Newman b.1839 Gt. Henny Essex. d. 1917 Halstead Ref.4a1147.
Married.
30 Oct 1860 White Colne.
Enoch Eves. b.1838 White Colne. d. 1907. Halstead Ref.4a304
9 children.
Have a look at the Historic England website which has the history of Quendon Hall as it is a grade 2 listed building.
Quendon Hall was originally known as 'Newman Hall' after the Thomas Newmans, father and son, who built a gabled timber house in a half-H plan in the mid C16. The estate later passed into the hands of the Turner family and it was Thomas Turner who was responsible for the remodelling of the house in c1670/80, casing it in brick and giving it the name Quendon Hall. He also remodelled the gardens and planted great north and south avenues in the park. In 1717 the estate was sold to John Maurice who, in 1741, sold it on to Henry Cranmer. Henry enlarged the park and later generations of his family added a beamed dining room to the north of the Hall in the 1860s. Quendon Hall remained in the Cranmer (later Cranmer-Byng) family until 1907, when the estate was sold to Sir William Foot Mitchell. At about this time the gardens were updated and a new south-west wing added to the Hall. In 1956 the property was put up for sale following a fire and was purchased by Sir Robert Adeane, who stayed for thirteen years before selling on to the shipping magnate, the third Earl of Inchcape in 1969. The third Earl remodelled the interior of the Hall, dug a dry moat in the gardens, and re-routed the south drive before selling to Tower Investments in 1980. The site remains (2000) in single corporate ownership.
Clemandus

Post by Clemandus »

I am grateful for the prompt and interesting replies to my post yesterday, especially at this busy time of year!

Thank you so much for your response Fronteria and the interesting information about Newman/ Quendon Hall.
I have investigated this Hall and visited, as it is situated so close to my Newman genealogical home of Great and Little Hallingbury. Given the geographical proximity,it is possible that the owner, builder Thomas Newman is connected to my line.

Just to explain more fully my line of research, a Thomas of Newman Hall, Essex, is mentioned on a memorial stone in the church of Fifehead Magdalen, which is home to a Newman memorial chapel. I am trying to confirm connection between the two Newman families and ultimately my own.
The Mount Bures website and Ida McMaster’s research into the Newmans, as said previously mentions a link with a member of that family and I just wondered if the Newman Hall mentioned on the memorial could have possibly been the one at MB, given that Abraham’s father was also a Thomas. These Thomases may well be connected, but I have not as yet researched the dates fully.

Are you the surviving member of the original Newman family to whom Alan refers? Thank you for providing the section of your tree.
Clemandus

Post by Clemandus »

Thank you, Alan for your response. It is very fortunate from my point of view that you were so closely connected with Ida McMaster and her Newman research!! I shall read with interest the extracts you have sent to me. Thank you.
Thank you also for your response re the name of the Hall. I am sure if it had been known as Newman Hall at any stage, you would know of it !
It is also very heartwarming to know that there is still a member of the original Newmans in Mount Bures!