Moat Farm and Dalton Family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
RichardAlbright

Moat Farm and Dalton Family

Post by RichardAlbright »

I am a descendent of Henry and Matilda (Bull) Dalton. Henry Dalton was the tenant farmer of Moat Farm for many years in the 19th Century. I am seeking information about them and their forebears and descendants. For example: Who were Henry and Matilda’s parents? Were Henry and Matilda born and brought up in the Bures area? Any information about Matilda's siblings or Bull descendants in the area?
My wife and I plan to visit Bures on September 6, hoping to visit Moat Farm and St. Mary’s Church, where Henry and Matilda may be buried. Are there other places we should visit or people we should talk with?

Here’s some of what I know from family history:
Henry and Matilda’s son William True Dalton, my great-grandfather, worked as a young man in London and emigrated to the US in 1871, around the time his father, Henry, passed away (his Mother, Matilda died when William was a child). William arrived in Chicago shortly after the great Chicago Fire, and then moved south to Chatsworth Illinois, where he lived, married, and farmed (My brother and I still own the family farm there). Wiliiam died in 1924. William’s children (Mabel, Edith, and Grace) corresponded with his sister Sarah Ruffle Dalton, who was a governess and music teacher at addresses in London. Edith and Grace wrote in their family history: “Henry Dalton was the overseer of Moat Farm, Edward had charge of the sheep. The boys were all sent to a school for boys and the girls had a governess. Matilda died when George was a baby and William was only three.”

Children of Henry and Matilda Dalton were: Edward Henry Dalton, Sarah Ruffle Dalton, Franklin Dalton, Matilda (Maria) Dalton, Grace Dalton, William True Dalton, George Dalton. Family history includes some information about each of them. Apparently only William had any children.

In Henry Dalton’s generation the siblings were: Eliza Dalton Harmer, John Hayward Dalton, Ezra Dalton, James Dalton, Henry Dalton (my great-great grandfather), William True Dalton (an uncle of my great-grandfather), Charles Dalton.

Richard Albright
Morristown, New Jersey, USA
RichardAlbright

Re: Moat Farm and Dalton Family

Post by RichardAlbright »

A possible correction to the list of great-great grandfather Henry Dalton's siblings: Family histories differ on one name:
One history written by my mother lists Eliza Dalton Harmer, while another written by two great-aunts lists instead Elira Harmer Dalton and his wife Elizabeth Weatherley Dalton

Richard Albright
Morristown NJ USA
WK777

Re: Moat Farm and Dalton Family

Post by WK777 »

Hello Richard,
Although I can't really help in your search about the Dalton family I am compelled to reach out as a fellow New Jerseyan with many Haywards in my tree (among many other family connections to Bures). I was prompted by seeing the name John Hayward Dalton in your post. It might be interesting to find a family connection in light of our NJ residence. Some of the other names in my tree: Cansdale, Eves\Eaves, Dyer, Bray, Cousins, Waters, Layzell, Cardy, Pelham and a few others. If any of those names ring a bell in your research and you'd like to compare notes, please feel free to get in touch. Wk7(at) live (dot) com
Cheers,
Will K
Ps. I remember having a substitute teacher with the name Albright as a student in Winfield Park Elementary in the 80's.