The Salmon family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Pauline

The Salmon family

Post by Pauline »

My third great-grandfather Philip Salmon (1781-1853) was tenant farmer at Ball's Farm on the 1851 census.

His father (1751-1817, born at Alphamstone) and son were also both called Philip (1816-1880), and were local too.

My great grandfather Joel Henry (1855-1936, son of the last Philip) was born at Wormingford. By the time of the 1871 census, the family - Philip, wife Eliza and son J Henry - had moved to Mitcham, Surrey, where they stayed. My nan Ethel was born and brought up in Croydon, as was my mum

The Salmons seem to go back further in the Mount Bures area, but I'm still researching that. If anyone would like more information or detail, I'd be happy to pass it on - and I'd love to receive any thoughts anyone else has.
Chris

Re: The Salmon family

Post by Chris »

Hi,
I would be very interested to find out more about the Salmon family in the Bures area as I think I may have finally made a link on my paternal line.

I think Philip Salmon, b1781 in Bures, could be my fourth great-grandfather, after doing a DNA test on the Ancestry site and following a link on another family tree via his grandson, Herbert Salmon (b1843 Colne Engaine, d1915),
Herbert’s brother, George Henry Salmon b1837 White Colne, d????, could be my second great-grandfather. Their father is George Salmon (b1810 n Mount Bures d???), who is one of Philip’s sons.

Some background:
I've spent several years trying to find my grandfather's (Arthur Henry Salmon b1884 in Cambridge) origins. He was brought up by his maternal grandparents so my parents couldn't give me any ancestor links.

From Arthur’s parents marriage banns, I see his father was George Salmon b1864 d1889. His father was listed as George Henry Salmon (deceased), publican. As there were so many George Salmons around I couldn't pin down which one he was until I got the possible DNA link.

Following on from this, I found one possible clue in the 1871 census: George Henry Salmon b1837 Colne, publican, (and his son George Salmon b1864 Colchester) are listed at the Duke of Kent pub in Greenwich. Could this the same person mentioned above? Apparently Herbert Salmon was married in Greenwich in 1884 so maybe some of the family moved down there from the Bures area?
Census extract:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xmIxQ0 ... sp=sharing

Here’s some raw background info (not checked) I got on Philip Salmon from an Ancestry member’s family tree:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18xBqCy ... sp=sharing

Thanks for reading and looking forward to discovering more.
Christopher Salmon
alan

Post by alan »

Chris
Have you seen this
http://www.mount-bures.co.uk/ballsfarm.htm

alan
Chris

Post by Chris »

Alan,
No, I hadn't seen it before. Many thanks for the link.

Chris
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Chris, sorry for the delay – I've been going back over my information, which I haven't looked at for a while. I did send a reply, but I don't think it went. It certainly looks as if we share a 3rd (?) great grandfather in Philip (1781). I'm then descended from his son Philip, and you're descended from his son George, I think. As far as I can tell so far, the parents of his father Philip were Thomas (1727) and Elizabeth, and Thomas's parents were Thomas and Martha.

Henry, brother of Philip (1781) is down as a baker, with a bakehouse on the High Street (next to the Queen's Head) on the 1841 census, and was registered as a trader in the 1830s. There is a description written in 1970 http://www.bures-online.co.uk/traders/p ... istory.pdf which mentions its existence in 1830. Philip (1781) is listed in White's Trade Directory of Essex 1848 as a farmer. I have a short list of tenant farmers (including Philips), their rents and the owner's name somewhere if you're interested.

There were also tenant-farming Salmons around Great Tey, and there are still streets etc around there with Salmon in the name. The painter John Constable was born not far away, and visited the village, where he had relatives or friends, I think.

As regards the photos of Balls Farm, where Philip (1781) lived, the advice on the buildings is that they pre-date the mid-19th century. The windows look late 18th or early 19th century but the internal frame could be 18th century or even older.  So Philip's family probably lived there, and yours would have been there, too.

That's probably enough for you to be going on with, but do get back to me sometime, and I'll let you know if I remember anything else, or find out more. Thank you, too, for the family information that you sent me – I have been able to fill in a lot. Let me know if you like more dates and names from me, too. I have been using Find My Past.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Many thanks for all that Pauline - it really brings the family tree to life.
After I got the potential link with Philip Salmon through DNA results, I blindly copied a lot of information from other trees on the Ancestry site, but going further back in time from Philip senior is just from one person so I hesitate to share it publicly yet. I will send it by PM for the moment and to anyone else who is interested.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Chris, I've got all that now - I'll have a good look at it all in the next few days, and will pass on any comments by private message.
Best wishes, Pauline