Crossman Family of Bures

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
HEATHERK

Crossman Family of Bures

Post by HEATHERK »

Hello,

I’m looking into the Crossman Family, who lived in Bures St Mary between approx 1755 - 1840.

I have a few questions, & if anyone has any answers, or any other info on the Crossman family that they’d be happy to share then I’d be very grateful.

- I have my 4XGreat-Grandfather - Edward Crossman - listed as living on Crossman Hill in the 1851 census. I can’t see a Crossman Hill anywhere on any map of Bures. Could it have been changed, perhaps to Springetts Hill which is the only other ‘Hill’ I can find....?
- Edward Crossman (1785-1863) and Elizabeth Daw (Dor) 1787-1852, had a child named Golding who died in infancy. According to the ‘Who do you think you are’ Barbara Windsor edition that featured Bures, Golding was a maiden name belonging to a family linked to the Constables, and used for sons from that maternal line. Can anyone verify that, or is it possible it was also just a name that was used locally without any Golding/Constable family connection?
- My 3xG grandfather Elijah Crossman (1827-1906), was a Maltster, and then a Maltsters Foreman working in Bures, in later years he moved to Colchester. If anyone has any info about him or could point me in the direction of somewhere to look for more info on who he worked for, etc, that would be great.

Thanks and best wishes,

Heather
alan

Re: Crossman Family of Bures

Post by alan »

Heather
A couple of answers
(a)"Crossman Hill" there are only two hills in Bures, "Lamarsh Hill" that backs onto Water Lane and "Cuckoo Hill" leading to Assington

(b)Golding: I was the local researcher contracted by the TV Company to ascertain any link with Barbara Windsor and the Constable dynasty
Golding was not unique to the Constables, it could be found in numerous villages in south Suffolk
The link between Barbara Windsor and John Constable was "very" tenuous
I published soon after the program was aired
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/windsor/
Last edited by alan on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
HEATHERK

Post by HEATHERK »

Ah, I thought it might be a bit tenuous! Thanks for your reply Alan..
SuzannahCrossman

Post by SuzannahCrossman »

Dear HeatherK - and possible cousin!!

Alan very kindly contacted me yesterday regarding your response to my message of 2011 - I was so surprised! It was so lovely of you to reply to my enquiry!

I looked up 'Crossman Hill' and see that FamilySearch state that as being your Edward's address but I wonder if that has been mis-transcribed and is, in fact, 'Cuckoo Hill' which would fit in, I think, with my Edward's address!! My 3 x Gt Grandparents, Edward and Sarah Crossman (nee Everett) lived in Water Lane, Bures St Mary and then Edward lived in the High Street after he was widowed. Water Lane, High Street and Cuckoo Hill are all in close proximity. Your Edward and his family and my Edward and family must surely be related, though I would imagine different generations.

I am rather tied-up today - and possibly tomorrow also - but I will collate all my notes to try to confirm the connection. It's surely a brother of my 3 x Gt Grandfather who had a son Edward and that Edward is your 4 x Gt Grandfather. I am eager to start sorting through my notes now but sadly I have work that must be completed first!!!

We may, indeed, be cousins though and that is so exciting! FANTASTIC!! How wonderful that Alan has put this web-site together and has the facility for Family History/Genealogy research and exchange of messages!

By the way! My Edward's son, Charles, was also a Maltster - I believe the brewery may have been on 'Croft Field', but I cannot be sure - I made some notes about it so I will look that up.

I will write more later but do hope you are able to see this message! So happy to 'meet' you! I do hope we will 'speak' later!!

Wishing you a wonderful day!

Your probably cousin, Sue!!