James Golding Herbert about 1795-1871

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
kauriclair

James Golding Herbert about 1795-1871

Post by kauriclair »

I am trying to find the parents of James Golding Herbert, sometimes just James Herbert, sometimes just Golding Herbert, born about 1795 and married to Elizabeth Rayner in Bures St Mary in 1821. Their son, Thomas Philip Herbert's marriage cert listed his parents as James Golding Herbert, publican, and Elizabeth Rayner and I can find Golding Herbert, innkeeper, in census records with wife Elizabeth and son Thomas.

Possible parents are the Rev Daniel Herbert and Elizabeth Lambert who had two sons James, one b 1798 d 1800, the second b 1800 but the dates don't tally with census and death records. As there seem to have been so many Golding Herberts in the area, it is proving difficult to work out, especially as I live in Australia and can't visit the record offices. Perhaps someone in Bures is familiar with the family and may have some suggestions. Thank you in advance!
admin
Site Admin

Re: James Golding Herbert about 1795-1871

Post by admin »

I have been researching the village for the past 20 years and I haven`t come across that particular name before
As you found, "Golding" was a very popular name in the 17 and 1800`s
ie, John Constable the renound artist, his father was Golding Constable
You mentioned a connection with an Inn - was that in Bures and what name ?

http://www.bures-online.co.uk/PH/publichouses.htm

Records are difficult with Bures
One half of the village (Bures St Mary) is in Suffolk, so they come under the Records Office at Bury St Edmunds
The other half (Bures Hamlet) in Essex, which comes under the Records Office at Chelmsford
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/info/info.htm

alan
kauriclair

Re: James Golding Herbert about 1795-1871

Post by kauriclair »

I wonder if James Golding Herbert married in Bures because his wife Elizabeth Rayner was from there and he may be from Sudbury where they later lived and where he was an innkeeper. As I haven't been able to see the original marriage record, I don't know if it was his own parish but as I now learn that his name is unknown there, it is probably not.
Thanks for the replies. It looks as though I won't find the answer in Bures!