The Daveys of Sawyers Farm

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Bob Marshall

The Daveys of Sawyers Farm

Post by Bob Marshall »

In the 1841 census my great great grandfather, George Davey, and his family (including my great grandfather also George), is shown as living at Sawyers Farm, Bures St Mary. It seems likely that he, and they, were there for some time before that. Gggf George was still alive in 1851 but in 1861 and 1871 his wife Mary (née Pettit) is head of the household at Sawyers Farm - "Farmer of 178 acres employing 8 men and 2 boys".

By the 1881 census the farm is occupied by the Pilgrims, most of whom, including the head of the household, are registered as General labourers.

As a comparative newcomer to genealogy, I have been unable to get any further back on the Davey tree than gggf George, so would appreciate any help that any Bures-related brain can give with the history of Sawyers Farm in general and the Daveys and Pettits in particular.

Many thanks

Bob Marshall
loopyc

Re: The Daveys of Sawyers Farm

Post by loopyc »

The Davey family certainly resided at Sawyers farm. my great,great,great grandfather George Davey (1749 - 1816) owned the property in the late 1700's. This george Davey married Mary Taylor at Bures and i know they had at least 2 children, Lydia and Mary. Lydia was my great, great, great grandmother and married John Hempson (farmer at Ramsey Suffolk) When george died the property was sold and monies went to lydia and Jemima Davey (not sure who jemima was ?)
Did other Davey family purchase the farm ?? cos Davey's seem to have owned Sawyers in subsequent years (re previous blogg posted 2008 by b. MARSHALL)
If anyone has any info relating to Davey ownership of Sawyers and genealogy pre George and Mary Davey then please let me know.
Thanking you for your assistance
Caroline
Bob Marshall

Re: The Daveys of Sawyers Farm

Post by Bob Marshall »

Dear Caroline,
I have still not been able to definitively get past my gggf George Davey (1811-1859) so cannot say how he may, or may not, be related to your ggggf George (1749-1816).
Also have not been able to establish who actually OWNED Sawyers Farm. ie Did any of our Davey's own it or were they (more likely?) leasing it?
What I have found is the will of what appears to ANOTHER George Davey who lived in Bures and died in 1807.
I have tried to attach the original and my transcript to this note but both pdf and docx are "invalid formats". e-mail me direct on bm.peacehaven@gmail.com and I will send them by e-mail.
In the will this George mentions his son, also George, another son Robert and several sons-in-law but only names one of his daughters, Mary, already deceased. Sawyers Farm is not mentioned.
There MUST be some sort of link between your ggggf and my gggf but it has yet to be established, by me at any rate.
I will keep searching and let you know if I found any links. Not helped by so many Daveys named George and wives/daughters named Mary!
Do please let me know if you have any more luck than I have had up to now.
Kind regards, Bob M