baptist church + BAINBRIDGE, CANSDALE AND MOLE families

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
pat carr

baptist church + BAINBRIDGE, CANSDALE AND MOLE families

Post by pat carr »

I have recently discovered that an ancestor, Eliza Bainbridge(nee Cansdale), was listed as Baptist Chapel keeper in both the 1891 and 1901 censuses.

Eliza married Thomas Bainbridge in 1858, son Thomas William(known as William) was born 1859 and daughter Alice Elizabeth about 1861. Husband Thomas died 1862 at Bures Hamlet aged 45, and the death certificate says that he was a Chelsea Pensioner, and that Ann Pettican was present at the death.

Incidentally, I came across Eliza whilst researching William Mole, shoemaker. Eliza's mother was Dorcas nee Mole. Does anyone know if William and Dorcas were related, possibly brother and sister?

Eliza had a son Henry born 1853 at Bures Hamlet, no father given on his birth certificate. Henry is listed with Eliza and husband Thomas as stepson in the 1861 census, but was later working for William Mole and known as Harry Bainbridge, the name he gave on his marriage certificate, which also states " father Thomas Bainbridge, deceased, Army Pensioner".

I'd be interested to hear more of any of the families mentioned, particularly Eliza's connection with the Baptist Chapel. Did she have to be a member of the congregation to qualify for the post of Chapel keeper? What a shame she died earlier in the year of 1904, and wouldn't have seen the Harvest Festival display as shown on your website.

By the way, 10/10 for the website - one of the most comprehensive I've come across!
Harriet

Re: baptist church + BAINBRIDGE, CANSDALE AND MOLE families

Post by Harriet »

Hi,
Dorcas Mole was the daughter of John Mole and Mary Carter, John and Mary had 10 children, and sadly William was not one. I do have a William Mole on my tree, born in 1816, the son of Nathaniel Mole (1794-1860) and Susannah Borley. The two families are related as William's father Nathaniel was the son of Nathaniel Mole (1758-1822) and Mary Bishop. This Nathaniel had a brother John (1756-)who was Dorcas' father.
I have the Bures parish records on fiche and am happy to look ups. I have extracted a number of members of the Mole family from the fiche as Dorcas sister Maria (1814-1894) was my 3 x great grandmother.
Harriet