Whats the furthest back you've got for Bures Ancestry?

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
isis

Whats the furthest back you've got for Bures Ancestry?

Post by isis »

On my Sealey side I have Hezekiah Ceily. I know nothing else of this man and his marvellous name. He had a son Edward baptised 1794 in Bures but dont know if Hezekiah came from Bures.

On the Willingham side I have Thomas Willingham born abt 1760 and married Mary Wright in 1781 at All saints Sudbury.

On my Cardy side I have a John Cardy born abt 1732 who married Elizabeth Springate bapt July 1732, they married in Bures 1755. They had 9 children.

Elizabeth Springate's parents were Luke and Elizabeth Springate who married in the 1720's. All their children were born in Bures.
Kevin

Re: Whats the furthest back you've got for Bures Ancestry?

Post by Kevin »

My surname is Garrad, and I can trace my Garrad family to John Garar (Garrad?) of Bures born 1551.
John had 3 daughters and 2 sons (as far as I know!) all born at Bures.
Lois

Post by Lois »

Have just joined the message board and thought I should put forward my Bures ancestry: the earliest I have to date is:
William HAWKINS bc1771 m Ann DOWNES 24 Jul 1787; Mary HUTCHINS 5 Dec 1797
Elizabeth STEBBING b1791 m Richard HOLMES 1810

William HAWKINS/ATKINS b 1835 Bures Hamlet was transported to Western Australia in 1864 for stealing offences in London where he went as a lad. He was living with an aunt and uncle, Richard and Sarah DUNN [nee Hawkins].

Regards
Lois
dottley3

Post by dottley3 »

You mentioned a Richard HOLMES, married in 1810. I am descended from a Frances Holmes, born 5 Feb 1785 in Halsted, married Edmund Ottley 12 May 1817 in Halsted, died March 1866 in Twinstead. Her descendants lived in at Lower Jennings farm in Bures. Do you know of any connection between our Holmes'? Thanks, David Ottley