Old street names in Bures area

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Penny

Old street names in Bures area

Post by Penny »

I am having trouble reading the handwriting on an 1871 census return. Does anyone know if there used to be a "Joslins Road" or similar in the Bures area? On the census sheet the address I am looking for is preceded by Fordham Road and (I think) Well House Farm. I am researching the family of Charles Webber 1829. Thanks.
alan

Re: Old street names in Bures area

Post by alan »

WellHouse farm and Josselyns are located in Mount Bures, not Bures

Go to the Mount Bures web site and look at the Windmill page, that was the location of a mill at WellHouse Farm
Josselyn is the name of a property in the same area

Without looking at my notes, I think Fordham road ran past Wellhouse and then onto Fordham village
However it terminated ( dead end) at Wellhouse when the USAAF constructed Wormingford Airfield back in the 1940`s
Fordham road was incorporated into the airfield and was deleted on subsequent maps of the area
ie:- today Fordham Road comes to an abrupt end at Wellhouse, then a few yards further on your are then onto the airfield

Try and find an old map of Wormingford Airfield, you may find the two end of Fordham Road
If the Webber family lived beyond Wellhouse, there property would have been demolished
Cant help you after Wellhouse, as that area is in the Wormingford and Fordham parishes, which is outside my area of expertise
Penny

Re: Old street names in Bures area

Post by Penny »

Hi Alan. Thanks for your prompt response to my query. From the info on the Mt Bures mill page and after consulting old maps of the area I have come to the conclusion that the 'Joslins Road' addresses in the census probably refer to (long since demolished) cottages in the vicinity of Well House Farm and 'Josselyns', as you suggested. Thanks for the tip - it signposted the way! Penny