HUME Family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
NikkiW

HUME Family

Post by NikkiW »

Many thanks for allowing me to join your page.
As you can see by the subject title, I am researching the Hume family.
My 2nd great-grandmother was Charlotte Hume (1836-1922) and research shows that she was born in Bures. I have her parents William Hume (1810-1886) and wife Mary Ann Brown (1811-1907) as both being born in Bures St.Mary. They had 11 (eleven) children altogether. One of whom was named Golding Hume (1848-1878). I've focused on Golding Hume, as the first name is unusual and I have a Great-Granddad Golding Rule and Granddad Golden Rule.
I understand that at some time there was a fairly prominent family named Golding that lived in the area of Bures and would like to find out more about them as well. As I'm wondering if my great-grandparents etc were given their first names in relation to the Golding family?
Sadly I have no older relatives that could enlighten me. Many thanks for taking time to read my message. I would very much appreciate any advice or information you could give to help me further my research.
admin
Site Admin

Re: HUME Family

Post by admin »

For a starter look at this page

http://www.bures-online.co.uk/drake/drake.htm

it details Golding Hume as a publican

Google "Golding Hume Bures" and it may come up with other entries I have published
Unfortunately with over 500 pages on this site I cant recall every name and it page location

alan
NikkiW

Post by NikkiW »

Oh, lovely. Thanks alot. Will check it out :)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

William Hume also at the One Bell PH

http://www.bures-online.co.uk/onebell/onebell.htm
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Additional information from correspondence received back in 2012

Quote:-
My name is ***** Hume born in King´s Lynn, Norfolk, but live in the Netherlands now (The Hague).
I found that my great grandfather Osgood Hume moved to King´s Lynn beginning 20th century. He was born in Bures St.Mary. I already found that my direct line of ancesters already lived in Bures from the end of 16th century. I have been to Bures several times now and to my pleasure I found old graves of my direct ancesters at the graveyard. It is a nice village and I understand why my family stayed in Bures for over 300 years. Also why their life expectacy was very high. The Hume males reached ages up to their eighties and nineties (which is even older than the life expectancy nowadays). I don´t know yet when the first Hume came to Bures and the reason why (probably they came directly from Scotland, but I have not found the link yet, although I had my dad´s DNA tested -- Viking background).
Whenever I am in England I will try to go to Bury St.Edmunds to do research in the records. At the moment it goes slowly as in the 16 and 17th century a lot was written in Latin.
Your site was my first meeting with Bures a few years ago as I didn´t know its existence before. It is a very good site and gives good information for my research.
Harriet

Post by Harriet »

Hi Nikki
I visited the LDS centre today and have the following information:
William Hume married Mary Anne Browne in Bures 25th Dec 1830, by banns. Witnesses were Layzell Hume and Mary Hume.
Of the children:
William baptised13 Feb 1831
James baptised 30 Sep 1832
John baptised 12 Apr 1835
Ann baptised 14 Apr 1839
Mary Ann baptised 04 May 1845
George baptised 03 Jun 1849

The other children(Jane, Emma,Golding, John and Charlotte) do not seem to be in the registers.

I also looked for William Hume's baptism and that of Mary Anne Brown and found:
William son of George Hum (not no 'e'!) and Jemima (was Layzell) born 26 Mar 1810 baptised 15 May 1810
Mary Ann daughter of John Brown and Jane (was Messent) born 05 Aug 1809 baptised 27 Aug 1809

This was the only baptism I found for a Mary Ann Brown in the registers, they appear to be the only family of that name in Bures at the time. There is a marriage in Bures for John Brown and Jane Messent 07 Oct 1804, by banns, the witnesses Lydia Brown and Thomas Brown.

I picked up numerous other Hum/e's in the village and noted those as well, if you would like these I can let you have them as well. George Hum married Jemima Layzell 28 Oct 1798 (from SFHS cd Sudbury marriages, I started looking for marriages from 1800, typical!) Also according to the cd Abraham Hum married Sarah Golding 31 Dec 1775 at Sudbury All Saints, she came from the parish of Ballingdon.

Hope this all helps
Harriet