The Pettitt Family Elms farm 1841

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Gillian

The Pettitt Family Elms farm 1841

Post by Gillian »

My Grandmother Beatrice Maud was born a Pettitt. After researching my family history I have found that Elijah Pettitt was her father born in 1843 and that his parents were George & Sarah Pettit who lived for some of their life at Elms Farm, M.Bures. Elijah by all accounts was quite a lad and the family story goes that he eloped to marry the schoolmistress whose parents did not approve of him. Elijah did marry Hannah who was mother to Beatrice, but as my own mother Joan is dead now it is difficult to piece the jigsaw together. I know that there were lots of Pettitt tenant farmers in the area but if anyone has any information on this particular family I would be grateful. i am also confused as some gravestones have Pettitt with two t's and others have only one t. George Pettitt has a headstone saying he died in 1880 and Frank pettit his son I think is spelt with one t. Frank has some connection with the church organ I think. i have read Ida McMasters book.
alan

Re: The Pettitt Family Elms farm 1841

Post by alan »

I will copy your text over to Ida Mcmaster to see if she can help you with any more information.
alan

Post by alan »

I will send you a private message which gives details of a Mrs Gibbons who has researched the Pettit family
Gillian

Post by Gillian »

Thank you Alan, I will write to her again. After speaking to Ida in 2003 I contacted Rosemary without sucess. Maybe a second try will be successful. Gillian.
Hopefully somebody else knows something about the Pettitts or Elms farm.
JOSEPHCROMEY

Post by JOSEPHCROMEY »

I am researching the Pettitts family tree. Jeremiah Pettitt was my great great grandfather and he married a Frances Ellen Cousins in 1873. They had 9 children, one of which (Clara) was my great grand-mother. Jeremiah and his family moved from Mount Bures to London where my great grandmother married her husband in 1899.
Jeremiahs parents I believe were George and Sarah. Can anyone please assist me with any information regarding this family. Were any parish records available or were any buried in the churchyard.
I would be grateful for any assistance anyone could give

Joseph Cromey - Cockermouth, Cumbria
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

All Mount Bures Parish and Church Records are located at the Essex County Records Office in Chelmsford
(see Essex County Council web site for more information)
Gillian

Post by Gillian »

JOSEPHCROMEY wrote:I am researching the Pettitts family tree. Jeremiah Pettitt was my great great grandfather and he married a Frances Ellen Cousins in 1873. They had 9 children, one of which (Clara) was my great grand-mother. Jeremiah and his family moved from Mount Bures to London where my great grandmother married her husband in 1899.
Jeremiahs parents I believe were George and Sarah. Can anyone please assist me with any information regarding this family. Were any parish records available or were any buried in the churchyard.
I would be grateful for any assistance anyone could give

Joseph Cromey - Cockermouth, Cumbria
Hopefully you responded to my posting Pettitt Family 1841
I visited the Parish Church of John the Baptist Mount Bures to look for family gravestones.
There is a gravestone George Pettitt died Jan 4th 1880 aged 68yrs, also his wife Sarah who died Sept 14th 1908 in her 91st. year.
In the 1841 census It shows George married to Sarah (George was 29yrs and Sarah was 22yrs)
As far as we know they had four sons that survived and six daughters, one of these sons was Elijah who was a brother to I think your Jeremiah. Elijah was my great grandfather who married Hannah my Gt. Grandmother and they had several children, one of which was my Grandmother Beatrice Maud Pettitt. She married a Samuel Layzell and they had one child Joan Beatice Ethel Layzell my mother who died in 2005.
I went to Cockermouth Grammar school would you believe, spent most of my married life in Essex till we went to live in Armathwaite Nr.Carlisle nearly 6 yrs ago. We then decided to move back to Essex in October this year.

Gillian Strudwick - Wivenhoe
JOSEPHCROMEY

Post by JOSEPHCROMEY »

Thanks Gillian some of those dates came in very handy in filling some gaps. Looks like we are distant cousins in our family tree.
I have George Pettitt who married Sarah Wilsher had 11 children they being,Peter, Joseph, Elijah, Emma, Anne, Jeremiah ( my great great grandfather), Fanny, Elizabeth, Deborah, Kate and Frank.
I have georges parents as John Pettitt and Jemima Ruggles am i on the right track ?
do you know of ant existing photos on the people or area in that time? Thanks for your help Gillian. I moved from Hampshire to cockermouth 8 years ago. Funny how people move around the country and the family tree goes with them.
Gillian

Re: The Pettitt Family Elms farm & Toakley family (layzell)

Post by Gillian »

I am still interested to know if there are any other of my Pettitt relatives out there who still live in Essex or even further afield.
Quite alot of the Pettitt's have been given the same christian name which makes things a little confusing. For instance my mother told me that Elijah Pettitt eloped with a lady (Harriet/Hannah Toakley a school teacher born in Bures St.Mary) because her parents didn't think he was a suitable suiter for their daughter to marry. Elijah then joined the army before he joined the police force. Harriet or Hannah was my Gt. grandmother born in 1846? Elijah was quite a character by all accounts. I'm going to the Essex records office to try and to piece together a few more facts to do with my family history the Pettit's from Mount Bures and the Layzell's from Rayleigh. My grandmother Beatrice married a Samuel Layzell from Thundersley (Rayleigh).
Thanks Joseph Cromey for responding, I went too school in Cockermouth!