Eves family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Mike

Eves family

Post by Mike »

I have a press cut out relating to my Great Grandfather George Eves who was a postman in Bures in the 19th century.
(This has now been published on the "Post Office" web page)

My father was Owen Cooper(b1901) son of Sidney C Cooper and Delsy Sarah Eves. Sidney was a Baker in Bures in 1902. I understand that Delsy was a teacher in Bures at the same time they later moved to Braintree.

The families all originated in either Lamarsh or Bures with the Coopers in Lamarsh and the Eves in Bures and because of the stability of them being in the area they are interwoven with other families in the area Eg Messants, Goldsmiths, Haywards, Sach's, Sycamores. They all go back a long way in the area I understand as far as the Middle ages.

My Great Grandfather Charles Cooper was the Innkeeper of the Lamarsh Lion. the farm behind it Edgars Farm along with Hill farm was farmed By William and later Sarah Goldsmith after he died and was later farmed by Thomas Goldsmith Cooper my Grand father Sidney's, Brother.

As a child I was brought to see Uncle Sid (Eves) who lived in a thatched cottage somewhere near Water Lane. I have lost contact with all of them as later generations do who are not close. I was born in London and lived there until 1970's when I moved to Ipswich and worked in Colchester. In 1983 I moved for work to Norwich.

I would think that I have many relatives scattered about Bures, Lamarsh and surrounding area.

Mike Cooper (now living in Norwich)
deaves

Re: Eves family

Post by deaves »

Certainly I remember from childhood many mentions of Sidney Eves by my grandfather Stanley W Deaves, son of Deaves Builders in Bures, and who used to live in the Sudbury Road bungalow still named Hillside. That bungalow was built by Charles Deaves (my great grandfather) for William Moss (also my Great Grandfather) who was a great friend of a tea planter named Scawen (?) who had the house called Planters in St Edmunds Lane. It occurred to me long ago that there might have been a tie up between the EVES family and my own DEAVES family. Ealier records show we were once DEVES and that is only one letter more than EVES - and what's in one letter for a busy, possibly hard of hearing registration clerk 200 years ago?
Helena

Post by Helena »

We are probably related as my great great grandparents were Robert Salmon and Mary Ann Eves married 13 October 1836 Holy Innocents, Lamarsh.

Mary Ann's parents were Edward Eves and Mary Parson married 7 March 1815. They had:

Edward born 10 May 1815, baptised 6 August 1815 St Mary's, Great Henny
Mary Ann Eves was baptised 17 November 1816 at Alphamstone

I cannot find any other children baptised to this couple in Great Henny, Alphamstone, Twinstead, Pebmarsh, Bulmer or Wickham St Paul and the only baptism in Lamarsh is the one below for George. I have also checked on-line at Ancestry for any baptisms in Bures and cannot find any between 1817 and 1824.

George baptised 4 December 1825 Holy Innocents, Lamarsh

I believe Mary Eaves died Jul-Sep 1863, registered Sudbury
I believe Edward Eaves died Jul-Sep 1867, registered Sudbury
I cannot find burial records for either Edward or Mary in Great Henny or Lamarsh.
(Note the spelling of the surname, it changes even within the family!).

Edward Eves (senior) parents were:

John Eaves and Rose Tuffen married on 9 October 1785 at St Mary's, Great Henny. They had:

John Eaves baptised 7 January 1787 St Mary's, Great Henny
James Eaves baptised 18 August 1793 St Mary's, Great Henny
Edward Eaves (own one) baptised 15 March 1795 St Mary's, Great Henny
Samuel Eaves baptised 4 January 1798 St Mary's, Great Henny
Sarah Eaves baptised 19 October 1800 St Mary's, Great Henny. I found a burial record dated 5 January 1806 for Sarah Eaves at St Mary's, Great Henny

I found reference in the ERO parish records to a John Eves was buried St Mary's Great Henny on 23 April 1820 aged 63. He was living at Great Henny at the time of death. This would make his birth year about 1757.

I also found reference in the ERO records to Rose Eves buried St Mary's, Great Henny on 24 February 1844 aged 82. She was living at Pebmarsh at the time of her death. This would make her birth year about 1762.

George married Marianna White in Jan-Mar quarter 1847 registered Sudbury and they had George (your great grandfather) and I guess you know the rest.

I come down the line from Robert Salmon, through Alfred Charles (who had 13 children) through to my granddad Wilfred Jack. One of my granddads elder brothers was Edward George Salmon (known as Ted - who features on the bowling page of this wedsite). I was talking to my dad the other day and he remembers you uncle Sid. He told me that Uncle Ted used to live next door to him.

I'm afraid none of our family are left in the are, I'm in Kent and my parents in Oxfordshire.

I hope the above is of interest
alan

Post by alan »

See my entry "Sidney Walter Eves" posted 5/12/17
fronteria

Post by fronteria »

I decided to see if I could trace my family roots more than thirty years ago, when there was very little information on the internet and what information was available I found large sections of it were quite inaccurate when compared to the original records, I found that most of my ancestors had suddenly developed a additional A in there surname making the spelling Eaves, this was in addition to the families who rightly spelt their name Eaves.
Even my own name suddenly developed an A on some internet sites, I have ever since treated every internet record with caution and only use it if I can check and confirm the record is accurate against the original document.
I know that there is what is now regarded as two Eaves / Eves families, which I believe came about by either a family split or by a spelling error in the distant past, probably in the sixteenth century as I have traced the family name and have not found any of our ancestors having spelt it other than Eves before the church was ordered to record births, marriages and deaths.
An example is one of the records from a muster roll: John Eves 1388; Archer. Activity in Exped Naval. Commander. Richard Fitz Alan. Earl of Arundel .
Although John Eves was a archer under the command of Richard Fitz Alan who's stronghold was Arundel castle, John Eves was born and resided in Fysshewyk (fishwick) Lancashire.
The activity Exped, was a Naval expedition in other words a war including sea battles between England and France, Richard Fitz Alan had complete control of English Navy at the time.
The record that is the oldest record I have found is that of Stephen Del. Eves Born About 1250 in Fishwick, Chorley, Lancashire.
This record is from the Lancashire feet of fines records where Stephen is recorded as basically paying 1d rent for land.
There are several areas where the Eves name is found most of which match the areas that the military commanders which members of the Eves family served under in the fourteen and fifteenth centuries who held land and strongholds like castles, pockets of the Eves name are found in Exeter in Devon, Maidstone Kent and there are still areas in Lancashire where the name is still found, in Essex I have not found the name before 1485 in any document although the records are very thin on the ground to non-existent in the many cases.
The information recorded of military service from letters of protection and muster rolls of just one Eves you might find interesting:
This is the military service of Thomas Del Eves over a ten year period.
26 Jan 1381; Soldier, Service in army for one year. Commander Sir William de Windsor. 1 years service.
20 Jun 1382; Soldier, Captain. Sir William de Windsor. 1 years service.
28 Jan 1383; Soldier, Captain. Sir William de Windsor. 1 years service.
06 Jul 1383; soldier, Captain. Sir William de Windsor. 1 years service.
14 Jun 1385; soldier, Captain. Simon de Burgh. 1 years service.
11 May 1388; soldier, Captain. Richard Fitz Alan Earl of Arundel. 6 months service
18 Feb 1389; soldier, Captain. Sir Thomas Umfraville. 1 years service.
22 Jan 1391; soldier, Captain. Sir Thomas Swinburne. 1 years service.
Another Thomas Del Eves who was born in about. 1390 in Wysewall (Wisewall) Lancashire
Thomas De Eves fought for Henry V as an archer in 1415; his commander was Thomas Beaufort, Duke of Exeter, Thomas was left as part of the Garrison of Harfleur to hold it after Henry V's army had forced it to surrender by laying it under seige, the seige of Harfleur was fought before Agincourt when Henry V landed his army there before Agincourt was fought on the armies way to Calais so Thomas Del Eves was not one of the archer who were at Agincourt but played a part in the war, Thomas De Eves service covered the two year period 1415-1417.
In 1426 Ralph del Eves was one of executors of the will of Sir Richard de Hoghton, kt along side of Sir John Stanley. who was a Knight the Eves family must have been of some standing and land owners in Lancashire.
A member of the Hoghton family still owns Hoghton Tower it is a fortified manor house located about 0.7 miles (1 km) to the east of the village of Hoghton, Lancashire, the current Baronet Hoghton still sits in the house of Lords.
I have not found any evidence of the Eves family being in Essex before the battle of Bosworth field where Richard 3rd was killed.
The Eves family were known Lancastrian archers and John de Vere, 13th Earl of Oxford was the commander of the Lancastrian archers at the battle of Bosworth field for Henry V11 (house of Lancaster) so my guess is that at least one family member was an archer under his control or in his entourage as the first record I have of the Eves family in Essex is in the Saffron Walden area where the De Vere family had a castle.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mike,
The Eaves family were quite prolific in the village until quite recently.
Unfortunately, I cannot recall anyone of that name now in Bures St Mary or Bures Hamlet

Dennis Eaves around the 1980`s ran a greengrocery stall a couple of times a week, although at the time he lived in Colchester
He owned land behind Nayland Rd originally called the Great Orchard
In the late 60`s and early 70`s he sold a small portion for development, now called Friends Field
When he passed away his daughter, again living in Colchester sold the remaining land for more development
A very contentious issue at the time

Read this
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/orchard/index.htm
fronteria

Post by fronteria »

Hi. Helena
You might find this of interest, I have copied part of your post because although John Eaves and Rose Tuffen's marriage record used his name spelt as Eaves when he was buried he is recorded as being John Eves
John Eaves and Rose Tuffen married on 9 October 1785 at St Mary's, Great Henny. They had:

John Eaves baptised 7 January 1787 St Mary's, Great Henny
James Eaves baptised 18 August 1793 St Mary's, Great Henny
Edward Eaves (own one) baptised 15 March 1795 St Mary's, Great Henny
Samuel Eaves baptised 4 January 1798 St Mary's, Great Henny
Sarah Eaves baptised 19 October 1800 St Mary's, Great Henny. I found a burial record dated 5 January 1806 for Sarah Eaves at St Mary's, Great Henny