Taylors schoolteachers

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
d.lomas

Taylors schoolteachers

Post by d.lomas »

around 1852/3 my GT.GT. G'father Josiah Taylor and his wife Ann left teaching positions in Penmark Wales for similar positions in Bures. Whislst at Bures they had 3 children one being my GT G'father Joseph John Taylor born in 1854. The family left Bures prior to 1861 as by then they were in residence in Portishead Nth Somerset. The question is do they appear on any records in Bures and where did they live? Any help would be appreciated. Dennis Lomas
admin
Site Admin

Re: Taylors schoolteachers

Post by admin »

Dennis,
I have searched through the web site archives and I can find no mention of the "Taylors" teaching in Bures.
However, I suggest you contact Bures School via their web site for further information.
I recall several years ago one of the Governors, a Mrs Lumley wrote a detailed book on the "History of the School" dating back to its opening in 1848 (?)
The school may supply you with her contact details, in order that you may get in touch with her direct.
There is a chance of course they didn`t teach at the newly opened school but at other private institutions, such as the Baptist Church which also had a school ?
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/baptist/baptist.htm

There were also "Dame Schools" around.
Dame Schools were small private schools that provided teaching for poor working class children before they were old enough to work. These schools were usually run by an elderly man or woman, perhaps in a cottage living room. They taught the children to read and write and other useful skills such as sewing. The quality of education received understandably varied.

Alan