Bures welcome home fund

Looking for anyone in the Services.
Were you a Bevan Boy or a Land Army Girl ?
macca

Bures welcome home fund

Post by macca »

My father was in the Essex regiment before the 2nd WW and during it I have a thank you note given him on return. It reads Pte Merlyn A.W.H Stebbing, Your friends and neighbours in BURES ask you to accept this gift with their good wishes, in the hope that you will look upon it as a small mark of appreciation for the part you played in overcoming our enemies. Darryle Deaves Chairman. Has anybody got any idea what the gift was Dad never spoke of it, Also his G Grandmother was a Deaves (Esther) Would there be any connection to the Chairman?
alan

Re: Bures welcome home fund

Post by alan »

Look at this web site link

http://www.bures.me.uk/Fund.htm
This gives full details of the Fund.
If you are in agreement I would very much like to attach your letter to these pages

alan
web site admin
macca

Re: Bures welcome home fund

Post by macca »

Hi Alan,
Thank you for the information. Yes you can put my letter on the Bures welcome home fund page. it might jog a few memories, I still have the original note that was given to my father I could E-mail it through will it be ok to send it on the Bures online web site will that get to you as I have tried on this page and cannot get it to E-mail ,bit green on all that. I also have a few photos of bures of the floods in 1956 and some before, and blessing of the fields, My great uncle was a photo fanatic and actually wrote on the back! My father was friendly with Arty Greaves son who I think was George and from memeroy was killed not sure where noticed he was not mentioned in the fund was this because he died? Where you born in Bures? some of the older residents might have known Arty he only had one leg and used to hand milk a cow which intregied me as I was born in London.
Regards Sue McFarlane
===========================================================================
Admin Message Board reply:-
Replied with personal information direct by email.
Certificate issued to Merlyn Stebbing now published on War Fund Page
http://www.bures.me.uk/Fund.htm