TOKELY FAMILY

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
spookysoo100

TOKELY FAMILY

Post by spookysoo100 »

I am researching my mothers side of the family which is Tokely. I know that they came from Bures St Mary and I would love to know if anyone has any memories or stories about the family. Thank you very muchh.
Gillian

Re: TOKELY FAMILY

Post by Gillian »

My Gt. Grandfather Elijah Pettitt born M.Bures was definitely married to a Harriet Toakley born 1846 (from Bures St.Mary Ithink).
Gillian

Post by Gillian »

Thanks for that information, but my relative was spelt Toakley. I didn't realise I'd posted it incorrectly.
Gillian

Re: TOAKLEY FAMILY Bures St. Mary I think

Post by Gillian »

Sorry but I posted the name incorrectly.
My Gt Grandmother was Harriet Toakley born 1846. I think she was born in Bures St. Mary
Gill

Post by Gill »

I have just joined this site and read your notice about the name Tokely. My great, great, great grandfather Edward Bull married Mary Tokely in 1843. This information came from the Church Chest and was researched by Ida McMasters. Edward was a widower. He had married
Lucy Ruggles 1814. I will see what else I can find from Ida if it interests you.
Gill
Gill

Post by Gill »

Just to point out that spelling of peoples names depended on the person making the recording so many errors were made as Ida Mcmasters was keen to say often.
Gill
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gill wrote:
" I will see what else I can find from Ida "

Unfortunately Ida passed away in 2014
http://www.mount-bures.co.uk/Ida/funeral.htm

alan
Gill

Post by Gill »

I did hear that Ida died and have read about it on this website too.

Sorry but I meant to say Ida's notes that she made for me and I kept. I refer to them often and thank her for them just as often.
She went to a great deal of effort and asked us to contribute to the church funds which we did. She also managed to find us a copy of her book after we heard about it.

Thanks for your message.
Gill
Tanya

Post by Tanya »

Hello, I know some of the posts regarding the Tokely / Toakley family and the Pettit/ Pettitt family are old but I hope this message manages to reach you. I believe my great, great, great grandfather was the same Elijah Pettit you are descended from. He fathered my great, great grandmother before the marriage to Harriet Tokely, although (as I do not know the mother's name) it is difficult to research further. Up to now I have refrained from commenting, as my research was just theory but now my DNA links with other family members, this would seem to confirm my findings. Esther Pettit (sometimes referred to as Ellen) was my great, great grandmother and born in Bures. She named an Elijah Pettit as her father, on her wedding certificate. I hope to visit Bures sometime and get a 'feel' for where the Pettit family would have lived.