Stebbing Family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
Stebbing

Stebbing Family

Post by Stebbing »

My father was born in Bures and when I young that’s where I spent some of my school holidays, we all came to Australia in 1959. My fathers name was Merlyn Stebbing and his Uncle was Arthur Stebbing who was also verger of St Mary's Church,
I kept in contact with Dulcie Cardy who I knew as a child as her family lived next door to my Uncle at No5 along the Colchester Road.
My grandmother was Kate Elizabeth Cox nee Stebbing, her mother was Emily Susan Stebbing nee Harvey Emily's Husband was Arthur Stebbing snr , Dad was Merlyn Arthur William Stebbing, Arthur, William, and my dad were bell ringers in the church. When I visited in 2014 I met a man who knew Arthur who had rung bells with his father. Arthur was my great Uncle and he was verger at the church for many years.
My grandmothers was Kate Elizabeth Cox nee Stebbing, her mother was Emily Susan Stebbing nee Harvey Emily's Husband was Arthur Stebbing snr , Dad was Merlyn Arthur William Stebbing, Arthur, William, and my dad were bell ringers in the church. When I visited in 2014 I met a man who knew Arthur who had rung bells with his father. Arthur was my great Uncle and he was verger at the church for many years. I dropped some photos off but you were not home so I missed meeting you then. has anyone written a book about Bures? I have the one but I wanted one more about the people as well I suppose you have to go more to family History.

From what I remembered Artie Graves, had one leg and used to milk a cow on a 3 legged stool, next door lived Pearl Baxter she had twins a boy and girl Pearl used to write to my Mum. When we lived in UK we always went to Bures at harvest time and used to follow the harvester round the field and Dad used to shoot the rabbits that came out of the crop,

We went to the 8 Bells and I was allowed in with a bag of crisps and lemonade but had to keep quiet otherwise the policeman would put me outside. When we went to the Thatches on Colchester Road I had to sit outside so I would sit and talk to the pigs.
Sue McFarland (Australia)

Administrator: There is another topic on the Stebbing family further down this list
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=56
alan

Re: Stebbing Family

Post by alan »

This photo taken in the High Street with Arthur Stebbing at the bottom of the ladder
Health and Safety Operative, but ignoring the man who has just walked under the ladder
Attachments
Foot ladder Stebbing.jpg
Foot ladder Stebbing.jpg (61.59 KiB) Viewed 10848 times
alan

Post by alan »

Just came across this Sudbury Newspaper cutting
Dated October 22nd 1942
Marriage of Keneth Read to Miss Joan Stebbing
Attachments
Stebbing.jpg
Stebbing.jpg (289.48 KiB) Viewed 10506 times
macca

Post by macca »

Hi Alan, thank you for this Arthur Stebbing holding the ladder, could be my Great grandfather, not sure of the date of the paper, as Arthur died 18/12/1922 of Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema, The family story is that he died of pneumonia after rescuing a child from the river from drowning, But I have never found any Newspaper cutting about this.
The marriage of Joan Stebbing I think she was a cousin there were quite a few Stebbing's in Bures at that time, but like all country town's the children move out for work, and the family name dies out.
Thanks once again and a Happy New Year.
Sue McFarlane