Surname of Bures

Your comments about the two parishes
roser833

Surname of Bures

Post by roser833 »

Hello!, my grandmother's surname was BURES. She lived near Barcelona (Spain). Because of this, it's very grateful to find your web.
I would be interested to know if there are any others with a surname of Bures and what was its origin.

Thanks from Spain and sorry for my english.
Roser Gost
admin
Site Admin

Origin of Bures

Post by admin »

In the Doomsday records, the village is referred to as "Bura" or "Bure", it`s documented to have a church with 18 acres of free land. The name "Bures" could be derived from either an Old English word "bur", meaning a cottage or bower, or from a Celtic word meaning a "boundary",

If the village was not named until after the Norman Conquest, (circa 1066) it could have been called after a French village of the same name, of which there are at least eight.

(Bures en Bray, Bures sur Dives, Bures Les Monts, Bures (orne), Bures (Yvelines), Bures Sur Yvette, Bures, Les Bures.

This doesnt really help Rosers enquiry about her grandmothers name - any other suggestions.

Web Site author
roser833

origin

Post by roser833 »

Thanks for your interest and your information.

Best regards from Spain.

Roser
fronteria

Re: Surname of Bures

Post by fronteria »

This might be of interst to those who have the Bures Surname.
The Bures surname name found in Military Service records from the 14th Century.
John de Bures, was in France his captain was Leget, Helmyng, the year 30/08/1369. source Letters of Protection.
William de Bures, was in France his captain was Leget Helmyng, the year 30/08/1369.source Letters of Protection.
John Bures. Man-at Arms. Standing Force Ireland, his captain was Sir William Windsor (d.1384) the year 20/06/1371 source Retinue roll
John Bures, Man-at Arms, Standing Force, Ireland. his captain was Sir William Windsor (d. 1384) year 18/10/1374 source Retinue Roll.
John Bures, Man-at-Arms, Standing Force, Ireland His captain was Sir William Windsor (d.1384) Year 06/02/1375 source Retinue Roll.
John Bures, Prior of the house of Sancte Crucis London, he was in France . Year 30/04/1378 source Letters of Attorney.
Andrew Bures, Location Ireland. year 14/07/1394 source Letters of Attorney.
Andrew Bures, Esquire, Man-at-Arms. Standing Force, Ireland Captain Sir Stephen le Scrope, (d. 1408) Year 25/04/1395 source Roll of Payments to soldiers with names.
The captain of the first soldiers with the name Bures was Helming Leget (d.1391) of Hadleigh, Suffolk, on the face of it I would guess that he recruited men-at-arms which I think are foot soldiers who would have come from that area where he had lands.