230 Battery 58th Medium Regiment Royal Artillery

Your comments about life in Bures during the Second World War. Can you recall anything about the USAAF Bomb Dumps ? New web site launched November 2009
PDWhite

230 Battery 58th Medium Regiment Royal Artillery

Post by PDWhite »

Hello,

There is a bit of story connected to this post so please bear with me for the context!

I am hoping that someone here may be able to give me more information about the above unit and any local connections. The regiment/battery was the local Territorial Army unit based in Sudbury. My Grandfather Frederick Wrapson was the professional NCO charged with training the local volunteers.

I know little about my Grandfather as he died before I was born and my Grandmother revealed very little and then unfortunately suffered from dementia and threw away virtually everything connecting Grandad and her. I recovered his military medals from the bin! I have just three photos of him all in uniform. I know the unit was posted as part of the BEF from Sudbury to France and was at Dunkirk. It was then engaged in North Africa and Italy.

I have only discovered the direct local connection recently as I was driving my 91 year old mum up to Sudbury and she asked me if this was the way to Great Cornard. I said yes and she then told me she had lived in Bures Road Great Cornard before the war and had often been sent by her mother to the village hall in Grt Cornard on a Saturday (where Grandad was training the local men) to make sure he came home rather than go to the pub with the men!

So I am hoping that there may be local people who have more information about the unit generally and its activity through the war and possibly stories/pictures that may include some of my grandfather. I have a list of those in D Troop and if psossible I will post it here for reference.

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Paul White