the sawyer family

Looking for long lost relatives ?
Post all your Family History enquiries here
grahame

the sawyer family

Post by grahame »

am looking for information for james sawyer 1802/1882 his first wife was elizabeth bland 1807/1842 it is his second wife i need help with her first name was ann maiden name unknown they had 2 children ann born 1846 and ephraim born 1848 they are my 3x grandparents and any help would be appreciated contact me at bruzza70@optusnet.com.au
alan

Re: the sawyer family

Post by alan »

Have you any idea what parish they lived in
ie, Bures Hamlet, Bures St Mary or Mount Bures ?
The generic term "Bures" could cover any of these.
grahame

Post by grahame »

thanks alan for your question from what we know james was born in east mersea essex the town is mt bures as is the parish have no more information to help you with he lived in the district all his life and was a blacksmith. he had 6 children to elizabeth his first wife and 2 to ann. we think his secind wifes name could be ann baker but cant find any records. any help would be great. thanks grahame
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I will take this information to the Mount Bures Historian to see if I can get any further information for you.
I will also search my own records.
A "Brand"family had premises in Bures St Mary as Agricultural Engineers and Blacksmiths but that wasnt until the mid 1900s

Look for the shop on this map
http://www.bures-online.co.uk/architect/high%20st.htm
Could be a totally red herring !!

alan
grahame

Post by grahame »

thanks for your help admin if this is of help to your search Elizabeth Bland in our tree her parents where Thomas Bland 1730/1859 her mother was Elizabeth Ruggles 1779/1839 hope this is some help am used to red herrings as it is hard getting the right records when you live in Australia but it is so interesting finding out as i never met my dad and want to find out about his side of the family regards Grahame
alan

Post by alan »

The Blands and the Sawyers were associated with two properties, The Old House and Yorklettes
This family operated the blacksmiths shop which has long since been demolished. This would have been located where the Village Green stands today.
All this information is available in Ida McMasters Book - "Mount Bures its Lands and Its People"
This is out of print but a Google search may find a source.

The Blands actually lived in property owned by Mrs McMaster.

I have written to Grahame with detailed information together with photographs and sketches

alan(admin)
grahame

Post by grahame »

hi all our new friends in mount bure. received your email please thank mrs McMasters for her valuable help alan the photos are great and the information was so much help will now see what i can find out about ann baker and her family and young thomas's wife Phoebe. it has been such a help on my journey of discovery also this morning i found on the web unknown to me photos of my grandfather 2 uncles and great grandfather taken in front of their mine in Menzies WA which is james's son and grandsons so it has been a exciting day for me. thanks for all your input and help Grahame
grahame

Post by grahame »

hi alan just read your email will get my information together for you and send on also was great to read about mrs mcmasters what a great lady she must be definitely deserved her gong.will contact you later with information regards grahame
alan

Post by alan »

This story has now been given its own web page on the Mount Bures web site.
It`s a wonderful tale of Blacksmith to Gold Mine owner
The web site contains the history of Blacksmiths in Mount Bures and how William Sawyer ( Blacksmiths son) travelled to Australia to make his fortune
Last edited by alan on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
grahame

Post by grahame »

I would like to thank Alan and Mrs Mcmasters for all their help in my search for my ancestors especially William who came to Australia. during this search Alan asked for photos if I had any which i didn't but on searching a WA web site i came across photos from Shirley to do with the family upon emailing her for permission to use them I found out that she is a second cousin living in geralton which i new nothing about so now not only do i have a new heritage through mt bures but also living relations all thanks to your marvelous site thanks everyone for this journey i have been on.
oldage

Post by oldage »

grahame wrote:am looking for information for james sawyer 1802/1882 his first wife was elizabeth bland 1807/1842 it is his second wife i need help with her first name was ann maiden name unknown they had 2 children ann born 1846 and ephraim born 1848 they are my 3x grandparents and any help would be appreciated contact me at bruzza70@optusnet.com.au
may be of some help there is a Marriage of a James Sawyer and Ann Baker 1845 1Qt Lexden 12 - 203 ( Rick)
oldage

Post by oldage »

Susanne sawyer would you please get in touch with me about ROBERT STaNLEY SAWYER
Rick seabrookr@optusnet.com.au